Friday 24 February 2012

Earrings from a bag!

On my birthday last year I decided to treat myself by buying some leather paints. I'm generally not quite sure yet what my relationship with leather is (I don't eat meat), but I think remaking old leather bags, shoes, wallets, belts etc. seems like a very ecological and fun thing to do, so, after hoarding a bunch of leather items from Kierrätyskeskus, I got to work on my first pair of leather earrings!

They're super light, colourful, and don't really look like leather anymore, really...

And they've definitely become one of my favourite pairs to wear.


An old and worn leather bag.

Designing and how well it works/doesn't work. 


The things you'll need:

- bit of old leather 
- leather paint
- protective top coat
- fine paint brushes
- something to cut out and punch a hole in the leather with
- the usual earring paraphernalia (pliers, hooks, links)



Et voilà! Painting old leather is a really nice way of making sure those cows didn't die for nothing...! I've never been too good at painting, but oh I do enjoy it, and will definitely utilise all the paints I've bought to revamp some of my old leather goods. 

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment