Wednesday 1 August 2012

Earrings from a shampoo bottle!

Step 1: Buy awesomely coloured shampoo and conditioner bottles
Step 2: Use them up (on your hair, usually), rinse them (the bottles, well, your hair too) and stick them in your craft cupboard cos 'you might find a use for them some day'...
Step 3: Years later, epiphonize (yes I know that's not a word) about making earrings out of them, rinse the dust off and cut out the more flat areas of the bottles (better suited for earring making at least)
 Step 4: Recycle the bits you don't need!
 Step 5: Admire pretty colours and think about what the heck you're going to do with them and wonder if you should just recycle these bits as well because honestly who's ever gonna want earrings made from shampoo bottles and this probably won't work out anyway...
 Step 6: Decide to try anyway. Doodle some ideas (I doodled some easy-to-cut designs)

 Step 7: Decide what to do

 Step 8: Get to cutting!
 Step 9: Ah, yes, exactly as planned! Except it looks like a transformer.
 Step 10: Drill/cut out holes to attach the pieces (I just use a screw that I hammer the holes with, it does the trick since the plastic I use is quite soft)
Step 11: Make some connectors out of wire or use store bought ones and attach pieces together
Step 12: Realize that initial plan will not work out, so leave bits to sit until come up with better plan or decide to settle for this version (picture below)

Step 13: Make some more, cos it's fun.


Here's some blurry pictures of another pair I made a few years back:
And I guess there's at least 2 people in the world who would wear shampoo bottle earrings since I've worn my pink ones on several occasions and the neon lime green ones I made (same design) we're adopted by a friend of mine, who has also worn them on several occasions. They can be made quite big without them being heavy at all.

So, hurrah for shampoo bottles!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I have some brightly colored shampoo bottles that I've been saving. I thought maybe I could make earrings, but I didn't know how to go about it. I googled and found this post. You sound so much like me. 😆😁
    I'll be giving this a try soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! I have some brightly colored shampoo bottles that I've been saving. I thought maybe I could make earrings, but I didn't know how to go about it. I googled and found this post. You sound so much like me. 😆😁
    I'll be giving this a try soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete