Friday 14 January 2011

Something pretty

(thats a good song by the way, by patrick park)

Ever since i can remember recycling, reusing and many other re- starting words have been high in my i-like-this list.

My cupboards and closets are filled with ... things. Things that normal people throw away (or hopefully recycle). I'm a collector. Of things. Of many things. Of too many things.
I'm not good at throwing things away (maybe that should be another theme for this year... ''you can throw it out''-year) because i can see possibilities and new uses for just about anything.

So my first actual post shall be about this need of mine to see the good in everything. The story begins with toilet paper rolls. Everyone needs them, everyone has them, so why not do something fun with them? And perhaps more importantly, something pretty. I started not putting them in the cardboard recycling almost 2 years ago. I now had many toilet paper rolls.

Even a friend of mine brought me a big bag of rolls (there would've been two bags, but her boyfriend threw them out cos he was sick of them being in the way).

So. Now what?

I tried to look for different things to do with them. Googling only lead to many children's craft sites. I did not want to make toilet paper roll butterflies or penguins.

This was one of the best reuses that i found, but wasn't i wanted at the time. I wanted something on a bigger scale, something to decorate my apartment with. And maybe something a bit simpler to create (i'll post about a warning story for that, my kusudama lamp, which is still only halfway done... but more about that later).

I finally found inspiration on one of my favourite sites, design*sponge, and this is what i made:




I randomly glued these quarter parts of the rolls together and clumsily hung them from a random nail in my living room wall. Not very chic, but easy and fun to do! All you need are the rolls, scissors and glue. I also used some mini clothespins to keep the parts together while the glue dried (only took about 10 seconds of pressure for them to stay put).

About half a year later i decided my foyer needed spicing up, so i painted these formations white and bluetacked them to the ceiling and floor. I think this turned out pretty nice, the shadows they make at night when the lights are on are pretty amazing too.




(They do fall down from time to time, so i keep a blobule (like globule, but blobbular) of bluetack nearby for quick fixes...!)

No comments:

Post a Comment